Nomination Deadline: May 31, 2019
The Strategic Management Society and Wiley are seeking nominations for two Co-Editor positions at the Strategic Management Journal (SMJ). SMJ, founded in 1980, is the world’s leading mass impact journal for research in strategic management. The journal seeks to publish the highest quality research with questions, evidence, and conclusions that are relevant to strategic management and engaging to strategic management scholars. More specifically, SMJ seeks to publish papers that ask and help to answer important and interesting questions in strategic management, develop and/or test theory, replicate prior studies, explore interesting phenomena, review and synthesize existing research, and evaluate the many methodologies used in the field.
This Call for Nominations reflects the end of the terms of Co-Editors Constance Helfat (ending December 2019) and Alfonso Gambardella (ending December 2020). The new Co-Editors of SMJ will be appointed for a renewable three-year term and one or both Co-Editors will assume duties in January 2020. He/she will work with continuing Co-Editor Sendil Ethiraj.
Each nominee should have the following qualifications:
- Scholarly strength: Recognized worldwide as a strong scholar in the strategic management discipline.
- Editorial experience: Has served or is serving as an Associate Editor or Editor of one of the three Strategic Management Society journals (SMJ, SEJ, or GSJ) or has equivalent experience as a decision editor in other leading journals.
- Open-minded and constructive attitude: History of open-mindedness regarding topics and methodologies for strategic management research and constructiveness in helping people develop different types of research opportunities.
- Strong work ethic: History of a strong work ethic in editorial activities, including both timeliness and ability to handle a steady stream of papers.
- Collaborative leadership experience: Ability to work effectively as a leader in an extended team. As SMJ Co-Editor, the relevant team will include the SMJ Editors (Co-Editors and Associate Editors), SMJ Editorial Review Board members and ad hoc reviewers, Co-Editors of other SMS journals, SMS staff and board members, Wiley staff, and an evolving set of other global contributors.
- Passion: Clear commitment to helping the journal and the discipline move forward, both operationally and strategically.
- Visionary and proactive leadership skills: Co-Editors must take an active part in developing the strategic direction of the journal. A Co-Editor must also stay current on the latest guidelines, recommendations, and evidence about peer review and journal management. The journal, as an instrument of the major scholarly organization in the strategy field, must both reflect and guide the discipline. Therefore, the Co-Editor must be actively involved with decisions on journal processes, staffing, planning, and promotion and will coordinate with other SMS journals on a regular basis.
Nominations, including self-nominations, will be accepted until May 31, 2019. Nominations should include (in PDF format):
- A statement of interest from the nominee for both self-nominations and nominations by third parties, indicating the nominee’s name, full address, email, and telephone number.
- A letter of up to 800 words summarizing the nominee’s qualifications relative to the criteria above.
- Third-party letters of support or recommendation. (Maximum of three letters.)
- A current curriculum vitae.
- If available, relevant statistics (number of papers handled, distribution of decisions, evaluations) from previous editorial experiences.
The SMJ Co-Editor search committee of the SMS will review nominations, select, and recommend the appointment of the Co-Editor(s) to the SMS Board and Wiley no later than September 2019. Members of the search committee include members of the SMS Board and Co-Editors of the SMS journals.
Please email nomination(s) to the SMJ Editorial Office to the attention of SMJ Managing Editor Lisa Hein at firstname.lastname@example.org.