About the subject
This question addresses when technological advances require radical reinvention versus incremental evolution and how gamification supports short-term versus long-term customer acquisition, if at all. Additionally, it explores whether there are cohesive frameworks for digital transformation that encompasses disruptive technologies, culture data-driven decision-making, and operational effectiveness.
- When do technological advances require radical reinvention versus incremental evolution?
- As access to information becomes infinite, what are the implications for privacy and ethical concerns related to how firms use knowledge on customers or employees?
- How do top executives effectively utilize information technology to achieve superior performance?
- How does gamification support short-term versus long-term customer acquisition, if it all?
- What skills are needed to successfully develop and orchestrate effective technology stacks and digital business ecosystems?
- What are the discernable biases present in AI and how do firms navigate the ethics of AI responsibly?
- How can remote and virtual workspaces enhance the strategic value of human capital?
- Is artificial intelligence redefining the role of human resource management in strategy development?
- How do the 4th Industrial Revolution technologies (e.g., blockchain, AI, ML...) impact strategy analysis, formulation, and implementation and do decentralized technologies threaten current business models?
- What are the ways that firms can derive competitive advantage from their human capital in lieu of societal shifts in the nature of work (e.g., algorithmic decision-making, distributed work)?
- In the face of greater access to remote work options, how are organizational structures, incentives, and governance practices evolving?
- How do hybrid or fully remote work models impact global work culture and what competitive differences will emerge between firms with a fully remote workforce versus those with a hybrid or completely in-person workforce? What are effective organizational practices and structures to anticipate and adapt to labor constraints?
- How do new forms of organizational design and workforce allocation affect knowledge, learning, and innovation in organizations?
- Are there cohesive frameworks for digital transformation that encompass disruptive technologies, culture, data-driven decision-making, and operational effectiveness?
SUBJECT AREA EVENTS
We look forward to sharing more information on events in this subject area, but do not have any planned at this time. Please Visit the Events page to learn about other upcoming SMS Events.
If you’re interested in this topic, explore these SMS Special Interest Groups
The big six questions
of strategic management
This is one question in a series, the Big Six Questions of Strategic Management, aimed at bridging the worlds of scholarship and practice. These questions serve as an inspiration to guide the development of actionable insights, frameworks, tools, and resources for the SMS community.