The Educational Impact Award recognizes excellence in contributing to the teaching mission in strategic management. It will be given to an individual who has made an exemplary contribution to quality and innovation in the teaching of strategic management, either through their own teaching and mentoring activities and/or by empowering other teachers with innovations and high-quality teaching materials.
Nominees for this award will be judged according to the following criteria:
- Innovation in the teaching of strategic management (e.g. new pedagogies, new media for learning and knowledge sharing)
- Development and dissemination of teaching materials, such as texts, case studies and digital materials
- Writing and publishing on pedagogy
- Evidence of excellence in teaching at their home institution and other places they have taught (e.g. teaching awards, reference letters from administrators or peers, etc.)
The Award Recipient will be recognized on the SMS Website and at the SMS Annual Conference, as well as invited to participate in the SMS Awards & Honors Webinar Series.
The recipient of this award is selected by a sub-committee appointed by the SMS Awards & Honors Committee, and will include leadership of the SMS Teaching Community.
Nominations are invited from any member of the SMS and should include:
- A nomination letter of not more than two pages in length specifically addressing the nominee’s achievements vis-à-vis the above criteria
- Two additional letters of recommendation for the nominated individual
- A full current CV for the nominated individual
SMS Educational Impact Award 2023 Recipient:
Ithai Stern is an Associate Professor and Akzo Nobel Fellow of Strategic Management at INSEAD. He also serves as the Academic Director for the VR Immersive Learning Initiative. He received his Ph.D. from the University of Texas at Austin. Dr. Stern has transformed the way that strategy is taught, in part through the creation of a library of virtual reality (VR) simulations for teaching and learning. As a champion for VR immersive learning and a higher education entrepreneur, he has assembled a global consortium of business school professors who create content and incorporate VR into teaching strategic management. He has shared his knowledge and experiences extensively with both scholarly and practitioner audiences. Dr. Stern is an active member of the SMS community who co-founded and leads SMS-IASMENA, the Strategic Management Society – Initiative for Academic Collaboration in the Middle East and North Africa.